My writing buddy Joanna Meyer tagged me in this fun blog hop, so here goes!
My answers to Joanna’s questions:
1. How would you spend a million dollars? That’s a good one! I’m not into the fancy houses and cars so much, but I would definitely buy a house of my own with some of it. Lots of books. Some trips I’m dying to take, to Chichen Itza/Machu Picchu, Great Britain, Japan… To be honest, the majority of it would end up in savings and donated to charities. Why do I need $1 million?
2. What time period in history would you like to spend a week in? The 1920’s would be nice! I could go to Paris and write and drink with Hemingway and Fitzgerald. Now I kind of want to watch Midnight in Paris again…
3. Soup or salad? I’m picky with my soups, so probably salad.
4. Write a haiku about something in the room you’re currently in. (okay I guess that’s not a question) Joanna is actually trying to kill me you guys xD Okay, here goes…
Tasty Coke Zero In a tall plastic cup Oops, it’s all gone now
5. Have you visited any foreign countries? Sadly, no
6. If you had to trade in your car, would you choose an elephant, a camel, or an ostrich as alternate transportation? Ostrich! Go big or go home, right? Plus I think they can run really fast.
7. What’s your favorite word? Ethereal
8. Cats or dogs? I’ve never owned a cat, even though I want to! I guess I’ll say dogs then
9. Who was your first fictional crush? My first one?? Oh, man. Probably Ned Nickerson from the Nancy Drew series because I’m a goon.
10. What three authors would you want to have with you in the event you’re marooned on a desert island? Neil Gaiman for the stories, Jodi Meadows for a fun friend (also, she could probably crochet things out of leaves for us, maybe? LOL), and Pierce Brown for the conversation. CONVERSATION, I SWEAR. Geez, people! (If Pierce ever sees this… I am so sorry)
11. What’s the title of your current WIP (if you have one)? The book I’m querying right now is called SOULREADER. I’m in the early, early planning stages of a new book that I’m tentatively calling IN THE SHADOW OF THE ACROPOLIS, just so it has a name 😉 It’s going to be a YA fantasy loosely based on Mayan/Aztec civilization. I’m stealing Mayan-style names and mythology, and the Aztec capital of Tenochtitlan. It’ll have political intrigue, a king/brother spiraling into madness, ancient gods, and a maybe-haunted acropolis. Yeah!
And now time for…11 random facts about me!!
1) I’ve been writing snippets of things for at least a decade (mostly fan fiction and story worlds to play with friends), but my first full-length book was written during NaNoWriMo 2011, my freshman year of college. It was called DON’T WAKE ME UP, and it was YA contemporary-ish, and it was awful. I haven’t looked at it since, but I was ecstatic to finish a 50,000 word book at the time! After all, that’s what started it all 😀
2) I once sat in a public library for 6 hours with Matthew McConaughey and pretended to read a book (obviously, I actually did read the first 30 pages or so. Hey, if I was really reading, it would look more realistic, right?). I was a background actor on Dallas Buyers Club. I totally called his Best Actor win 18 months before anyone else.
3) I attended a creative writing intensive program in California in 2013. Six weeks away from home. It was the best experience! It also proved my theory that a new, beautiful environment helps me to write more often.
4) My first publication was a story I wrote for the Neopian Times, on Neopets. I’m still so damn proud of that gold trophy on my user lookup, you guys.
5) I’ve never lived in any other state than Louisiana. I’ve lived in 4 different cities, none more than 80 miles apart.
6) My favorite TV shows include Doctor Who, Sherlock, Once Upon a Time, Lost, and Firefly (though there’s so many more than that!)
7) I’m graduating with my BA in English in 3 months!
8) I live with my parents, four younger siblings, 2 Chihuahuas, and a bunny
9) The one and only time I’ve actually been drunk was at a party with other writers (see #3). It wasn’t nice xD
10) I’ve promised myself 2 things when I sign with an agent: a small tattoo (“Not all those who wander are lost on my wrist, probably) and a violin. I want to learn to play so much!
11) I want to try all kinds of writing projects! I’ve done novels, short stories, and poetry; I want to try plays, scripts, screenplays. I wrote a 4-page script for a web series a couple of weeks ago, which was amazing fun and terrifying at the same time.
My nominees for the Liebster Award – now you have to do this on your blogs!
My questions for you!
1) What was your first novel?
2) What is your favorite book of 2014?
3) Spring, summer, fall or winter?
4) If you could take a trip anywhere, where would you go?
5) What is your favorite food?
6) What is your favorite genre and why?
7) What accomplishment are you most proud of?
8) Sum up your current WIP in one word (or sentence, to be less cruel)
9) If you could save one book from your bookshelf in the zombie apocalypse, what would it be?
10) What was your favorite class in school?
11) Do you have a secret skill?
That’s all for now! Thanks to Joanna for tagging me in this (surprisingly long) challenge 🙂